+  OBM Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  BLACK METAL Discussion
| | |-+  Your black metal rig.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your black metal rig.  (Read 493 times)
BlackConvert

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »

I'm going to eventually start a black metal band so I'm going to start shifting my focus toward actually playing black metal when I practice, but there's one important thing I think I'm missing: the tone. I know that some of you guys on this site have bands or your own solo projects and I was wondering what gear you use to get your tone. You know that really crunchy evil sounding "Deathcrush" kind of tone. Or the Burzum tone. I know Euronymous played a Gibson Les Paul through a modded Marshall Amp with an Ibanez tube screamer but what do you guys use? Guitars? Amps? Pedals? I'd love to hear what some of you use.
Iron Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:51:46 PM »

I use a modeling amp and a modeling pedalboard amp. I'm saving up for a real tube amp. I want that, a fuzz pedal, and a fuzzy sounding distortion pedal. I really want that Euronymous buzzsaw sound.

Now, I use a setting on my pedalboard designed to imitate a cranked tube amp with lots of distortion, and a sixties rock preset on my amp. It is actually too thin and buzzy, though.
BlackConvert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:44:12 PM »

What about pickups?
Iron Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »

What about pickups?

My main guitar (Charvel) has some fucking great pickups. They are Seymour Duncan double coil active humbuckers. They are very good. They have an extremely high output, which is good for achieving black metal distortion. The neck pickup sounds beautiful, but it doesn't always work. There is a loose connection somewhere.

I also have another guitar. It was my dad's when he was my age. It was from Sears or somehwerd. It has three pickups, my Charvel has only two. In the back, it had an old, messed up humbucker that my dad traded with someone for. I have no clue what it is, but it sounds great. The other two are single coil, not so good... I use this guitar as my downtuned guitar. I don't want to warp the neck on a thousand dollar guitar...
BlackConvert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »

Hey my main guitar ( Carvin Ultra V) also has two high output Seymour Duncan pickups in it. They're SH-8 Invaders. One in the neck and one in the bridge. Although I think that the one in the bridge is wired incorrectly. I think that the guy who installed them wired it for single coil rather than the full humbucker, but it still blows away the C22's I have in my other Carvin. I mean they're very good versatile pickups but not really suited for really heavy music. The pickup in my beginner guitar sounds awful.
Iron Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »

Hey my main guitar ( Carvin Ultra V) also has two high output Seymour Duncan pickups in it. They're SH-8 Invaders. One in the neck and one in the bridge. Although I think that the one in the bridge is wired incorrectly. I think that the guy who installed them wired it for single coil rather than the full humbucker, but it still blows away the C22's I have in my other Carvin. I mean they're very good versatile pickups but not really suited for really heavy music. The pickup in my beginner guitar sounds awful.

Flying V style guitars are really cool. SGs are really cool as well. The guitar kind of looks like it has devil horns. And Tony Iommi played it so that makes it even cooler. Lets Pauls look really uncomfortable. Euronymous looked cool with his though. That's a weird guitar to see in black metal. Usually, you think of Les Pauls as being better for more mellow stuff. But whatever kind of rig he had, it sounded great. It was a cranked Marshall boosted by an Ibanez Tube Screamed I think I read somewhere today. I have his tone sort of approximated. No longer does my amp sound like a headache inducing beehive. It doesn't sound wonderful yet, I'm still feeling it, but it sounds pleasant to listen to. Part of Euronymous's tone was Necrobutcher's 4 string crush fuck. I'm calling it that from now on, it's fun to say and it is a rather accurate description. I just love the way they both have that thick grinding sound. Tone isn't all about the guitar.

I now use a setting that emulates a Marshall boosted by Tube Screamer.
BlackConvert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »

Yes I like V's, but both of my V guitars are white and my beginner one is just a sunburst color. I need some black guitars! I may make the Kiesel (Carvin) X220 my next guitar purchase. Then I'll have all of their 6 string V's. I don't know when that will be though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »